Me and Marlo Thomas



Tonight I attended a books discussion/signing for Marlo Thomas' new book Growing Up Laughing.  I used to love watching re-runs of That Girl on Comedy Central when I was little.  It was also on tv paired up with Love American Style, but I don't think that was on Comedy Central... anyway.  Also, who didn't love her as Mrs. Green on Friends?  I was super excited when I saw that this event was happening.  Apparently the advertising wasn't that great because there was not too many people there.  Of course that is in comparison to when I saw Carol Burnett.  Both events took place at the Saban Theatre in Beverly Hills.  Tonight's event was moved from the theatre to the lobby.  I liked that they did that because it made the evening feel more intimate.

Unfortunately, since I just found out about the event last week, and had to finish MockingJay this weekend, I didn't get a chance to read the book before attending.  Marlo told some great stories.  Hopefully some of the gems are in the book.  Rabbi David Baron was the other half of the conversation and did a great job.  In the beginning he pointed out that not only was Marlo's childhood amazing since she grew up around comic legends and geniuses, but she appreciated the fact that these people were around.  Where as most teens would want to get out of the house and not deal with their parents' friends, Marlo knew it was special that she was able to spend time with these guys and wanted to hang around them as much as she could.

Not only does her book contain stories from her life it also has interviews with other comics.  I'm excited to read the interviews with Conan, Tina Fey, Chris Rock, Lily Tomlin, Jerry Seinfeld, and more.

One thing I really liked was just how positive she is. She said that she would always tell her funny family stories to friends and they told her she should write them down. It seemed that she hoped these stories would inspire and bring joy to others.

The fun evening was wrapped up by getting my copy of the book signed and a photo with Marlo.


http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=quicthou-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&m=amazon&f=ifr&md=10FE9736YVPPT7A0FBG2&asins=140132391X


Marlo said she just started a new website. One of the features is Laugh of the Day. She gave a statistic (which I have forgotten) about how less adults laugh than kids do on a daily basis. She hopes this will give everyone at least one laugh a day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment