Carol Burnett and Tim Conway

Tonight I had a fun evening with my friends Carol and Tim, yes I mean Carol Burnett and TIm Conway.  Ok, maybe the night wasn't as intimate as just the three of us, but it was still a joy to see them interact and tell stories. The night was hosted by an organization called Writers Bloc.  They host events with authors who are usually on some sort of press tour for a new book.  Along with the author, they have a second guest who acts as an interviewer to get the conversation going.  I would have been thrilled just to see Carol, but when I saw that Tim was the second guest I knew it would be a great night.

Carol's new book, This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection, was a nice read.  Each chapter is only a few pages and consists of a story.  The stories run throughout her life, but really focus on her career, co-workers, and family.  I've been a fan of Carol for a long time (like most people I suspect).  When I was younger I used to watch reruns of The Carol Burnett Show.  It's been so long since I've seen it that I didn't remember some of the sketches she refers in the book.  I plan on remedying soon.

The event tonight was fun.  It was just Tim and Carol talking and bantering back and forth.  They started out talking about how TV is different now and there aren't many quality programs on anymore.  Carol gave a shout out to Glee and Modern Family for being examples of the rare gems that are on the air currently.  Most of the stories Carol told were from the book, so to me, it was nice to also have Tim's stories about his life.

After about an hour of talking the panel part of the evening ended and a huge line formed for Carol to autograph books.  I waited in line for about an hour and then I reached the table and had this conversation with Carol:

Me: I really enjoyed the book.  It was a great collection of stories.
Carol stops writing and looks up at me and smiles.
Carol: Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.


It may have been a short conversation, but it was a good one. ;)  Here are couple of pictures from the night.  If I ever figure out how to load video clips on here I'll post the few I took.  (I got a video of Carol doing her Tarzan yell!) Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture with Carol because it wasn't allowed as she autographed.











1 comments:

Quick Review: This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection – Life in words and pictures at: April 28, 2010 at 3:37 PM said...

[...] I blogged about an event I attended where I got to meet Carol Burnett.  I wanted to read this book prior to [...]

Post a Comment